Visitation Academy Technology!
Visitation Academy strives to stay up-to-date with the latest technologies to enhance learning in all curriculum areas!
Students learn technology skills including Keyboarding, Coding, Digital Citizenship, Internet Research Strategies, Word Processing, Spreadsheets, Slideshows, Movie Production and STEM. G Suite for Education Apps are used by the students to complete a variety of projects that incorporate the use of 21st Century technology skills of: Communication, Collaboration, Critical Thinking, and Creativity.
Students use the Makerspace to complete STEM challenges in small groups.
What is a Makerspace?
A Makerspace provides hands-on, creative ways to encourage students to design, experiment, build and invent as they deeply engage in science, engineering and tinkering. The Makerspace is part of the students' subject curriculum and contains a variety of materials such as: hand tools, sewing machines, cardboard, tape, craft sticks, Legos, Kinects, etc. There will be many technologies used: iPads, Chromebooks, 3D Printer with Tinkercad, Dash and Dot Robots, Sphero Minis, Ozobots, Lego Kits, Cubelets, Makey Makey, Snap Circuits, Arduino, and Squishy Circuits. By working in our Makerspace our students' creativity, hands-on, and critical thinking skills will shine! All students are expected to use the space in a safe, careful and respectful manner. Makerspace Procedures and Expectations .
- iPads are used in all grades with most concentration in the Pre-School through 3th Grade classrooms. Students in these classes have many hands-on opportunities to use educational apps to further enhance their learning.
- Chromebooks are used by all students in grades 4-8 in their classrooms. The students utilize G Suite for Education. This enables the students and faculty to work more collaboratively on projects and also enable students to access their work in school and at home.
- The Classworks web-based instrutional program is utilized by students in Grades 1-8. It is an individualized learning program providing skill-building to enhance learning in the areas of Language Arts and Math. This program works in conjunction with the MAP Growth standardized test taken by students in the Fall, Winter and Spring.
- The IXL web-based program for Language Arts and Math is being utilized by students in Grades 2-8 both in school and at-home for skill building throughout the year as well as Science and Social Studies in Grades 4 and 5.
- SmartBoards, and Promethean ActivPanels are used in the PreSchool through Grade 8 areas for more interactive lessons.
A recycling box is set up outside of the Computer Lab through Evolve Recycling. They recycle printer cartridges and small electronics. Please feel free to bring in your used, small electronics for recycling
Evolve Recycling pays organizations cash for depleted ink and toner cartridges, used cell phones, and other small electronics. Evolve then re-manufactures or recycles those unused assets – keeping millions of pounds of waste out of landfills each year.